IOM UN Migration - Cultural Mediator (CY2023-45)
This job post is expired. You can search for other jobs here at www.carierista.com.
#CA61397 Type: Full time / Temporary
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the implementation of the project ‘’Supporting the Cypriot Authorities in Family Reunification for UASC’’
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide interpretation and cultural mediation to migrants for effective communication between IOM staff and beneficiaries, including during individual/group sessions and relevant activities.
- Keep and respect the professional confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain good relations with the beneficiaries, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors to support adequate implementation and coordination of project activities.
- Support in translating information materials/documents and other needed information used for individual and/ or group activities with beneficiaries.
- Facilitate communication, through interpretation and/or translation, in a spoken or written language understood by the beneficiaries, between the beneficiaries and the staff, in an objective and impartial way.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school degree/ certificate with minimum three years of work experience; or
University degree from an accredited academic institution with one year of relevant experience is an advantage.
Experience and Skills
- Previous work experience in a similar role;
- Process adequate combination of knowledge, education, training experience to perform essential functions of the position;
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment preferred;
- Process adequate skills to perform essential functions of the position;
- Computer literacy in standard software applications;
- Strong work ethics and commitment to humanitarian principles;
- Valid driver’s license.
Fluency in French and English (oral and written) is required.
Knowledge of Greek, Somali, Arabic or any other IOM official language is an advantage.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Appointment will be subject to the provision of requirements relevant to the position including academic degree(s), professional licenses, criminal record certificate and declaration of relatives in the Organization.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only those holding a valid residence and work permit for Cyprus will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover Letter) in English, to SMCYPIOMHR-Applications@iom.int email address, quoting the vacancy number VN CY2023-45 and full name in the subject line of the email, by 4 December 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
From: 20 November 2023 to 4 December 2023