Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Thermal Sciences (ref. no. EEWRC_PDF_23_01)
This job post is expired. You can search for other jobs here at www.carierista.com.
#TC57917 Type: Full time / Contract
Closing Date: 30/09/2023
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its five Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC), the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C), and the Science and Technology Driven Policy and Innovation Research Centre (STeDI-RC). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the Advanced Renewable Energy Systems (ARES) group of EEWRC as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. The successful candidate will contribute to the research activities of the ARES’ group in general, and, more specific, to the objectives of the RIF (Research and Innovation Foundation) funded ‘’SmartHelio’’ project. The project will deal with the design and development of an innovative ‘’smart modular heliostat with adaptive optics’’, which aims to provide the key enabling technology for heliostat field standardization, both for mono-tower and multi-tower Concentrated Solar Thermal (CST) tower systems. The innovative heliostat concept will be tested and demonstrated at CYI's PROTEAS state-of-the-art experimental facility.
The successful candidate is expected to carry out research on advancing the state-of-the-art of CST technologies, with emphasis on the modeling, design and optimization of CST components and devices. Furthermore, the candidate is expected to assist in carrying out common research activities, drafting project deliverables and research proposals, contributing or leading the drafting of scientific papers, presenting project related content, etc.
The successful candidate will be based at CYI’s headquarters in Nicosia, with frequent travels (with CYI provided car and according to the needs of the project) to the PROTEAS experimental facility at Pentakomo, Limassol.
The appointment will be on a full-time basis for a period of 16 months, offering an attractive remuneration package, following international standards, with the possibility of renewal depending on the performance and availability of funds.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Design, optimization, development and testing of novel CST components/devices, focusing on advancing the state-of-the-art of variable focal length heliostats.
- Assisting in the integration of the developed heliostats to the existing PROTEAS heliostat field
- Participating in the experimental field testing
- Processing and analyzing results of experimental testing
- Multiphysics modelling and simulation of CST components/devices
- Collaborating and liaising effectively with the project partners
- Drafting of project deliverables and reports
- Drafting and publishing of research papers to top-tier peer review journals
- Assisting on the on-going research activities of the ARES’ group when needed
- Supervision and guidance of research assistants
- Presentation of research outcomes in conferences and meetings
- Contribution to research proposal preparation, project (scientific) reporting & project management
- Engaging with European and international industry and research / academia relevant to the project’s scope
- PhD in one of the following: Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/ Aeronautical Engineering/ Software Engineering/ Energy Engineering/ Physical Sciences (The candidate must hold a PhD degree of a recognized higher education institution before the deadline of the opening. Candidates who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply provided that they can document their successful defense of the thesis)
- Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Presentations in scientific conferences and publications in the relevant proceedings
- At-least 3-year of research experience (including PhD research)
- Good programming skills (preferably in C++ and/or Python and/or Matlab)
- Fluency in English (verbal and writing)
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team while showing initiative and independence
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Background or good understanding of the concepts of Concentrated Solar Thermal technology
- Engineering systems design optimization through Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Experience on engineering design using Computer Aided Design (CAD) and/or Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
- Experience on rapid prototyping through 3D printing
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, [list of publications] and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Dr Kypros Milidonis (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Kypros Milidonis
Reference number: EEWRC_PDF_23_01