Postdoctoral Research Fellow on Climate Change and Health (ref. no. CARE-C_PDF_22_08)
Η συγκεκριμένη αγγελία έχει λήξει. Ψάξτε στο www.carierista.com για αναζήτηση άλλων αγγελιών.
#TC46396 Τύπος: Πλήρης Απασχόληση / Συμβόλαιο
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations and cross-disciplinary research and post-graduate education. The CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas. Within this context, the CyI in cooperation with Advanced Partners: Max Planck Institute for Chemistry (Germany), University of Helsinki (Finland) and Laboratory for Sciences of the Climate and the Environment (CEA, France), established the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C) of the CyI under the “Eastern Mediterranean Middle East – Climate and Atmosphere Research Center of Excellence” (EMME-CARE) project, (Horizon 2020 – TEAMING Grant no. 856612).
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly motivated and qualified individual to join the CARE-C Centre as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Climate Change and Health using data science approaches. The role will utilise expertise and data on climate change from the Environmental Predictions Department of EMME-CARE and combine that with appropriate health data, using advanced statistical and machine learning techniques. Probabilistic/statistical inference methods will be employed to formally assess the robustness of such findings. A primary area of interest is the combination of publicly available health data at coarse temporal resolution with available national-level data at high temporal resolution using data integration techniques. More generally, the role will involve estimation of the effects of air pollution, dust and weather as well as the possible effect of the urban heat island on human health, and the associated future changes.
The successful candidate will receive the appropriate training and guidance, while benefitting from input by expert European organisations and networking with local and regional stakeholders.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 24 months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Apply and develop statistical methods/ML for analysis of environmental and health data.
- Apply and develop statistical/ML methods for correcting flaws in observational data.
- Pursue the availability of relevant data and information from suitable sources.
- Contribute to research related to quantification of climate change impacts in the region.
- Publish and communicate the research output and implications at different levels, including academic, public and policy related.
- Actively pursue regional and international networking, especially in the area of climate change and health.
- Optional participation in the educational programs of the Institute and the training of new research staff.
- PhD degree in Data Science/Mathematics/Statistics or Public Health (The candidate must hold a PhD degree of a recognized higher education institution before the deadline of the opening. Candidates who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply provided that they can document their successful defence of the thesis).
- Experience with data analysis using quantitative methods
- Experience of publishing in scientific journals
- Presentation and communication of work to scientific conferences or crowds
- Experience in conducting independent scientific research
- At least one (1) year of related research experience after completion of PhD
- Proficiency in English both written and oral
- Familiarity with data modelling approaches such as regression, Generalised Additive Models, Bayesian data analysis;
- Familiarity with statistical learning and inference methods;
- Understanding of uncertainty in modelling;
- Programming experience with the statistical language R;
- Familiarity in handling complex observational data sets ;
- Familiarity in handling data in the form of output from physical models.
- Mathematical/quantitative background
- Experience with stochastic simulation and Monte Carlo methods
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Theo Economou (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Theo Economou
Reference number: CARE-C_PDF_22_08