Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Atmospheric Sciences, Emissions and Modelling (ref. no. CARE-C_PDF_22_07)
Η συγκεκριμένη αγγελία έχει λήξει. Ψάξτε στο www.carierista.com για αναζήτηση άλλων αγγελιών.
#TC46292 Τύπος: Πλήρης Απασχόληση / Συμβόλαιο
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Environmental Prediction Department (EPD) of the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C), under the EMME-CARE. LIFE-SIRIUS and ACCEPT project will provide essential insights into key processes of the Earth System, consisting of the:
- Model Development and Forecasting Unit, responsible for numerical modelling and data analysis, the development of process parameterisations, the optimisation of computer codes for the latest generation High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure, and the pursuit of forecasting applications
- Earth System Analysis Unit, pursuing the chain of knowledge from processes to impacts, through the analysis of observations, model studies that focus on system understanding and feedback mechanisms, scenario calculations, and impact assessments.
The CARE-C Centre of Excellence of the Cyprus Institute invites applications for highly motivated and qualified individual to join the Environmental Predictions Department as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. The successful candidate will contribute to the research objectives of the EPD, within the framework of national and/or international research projects in:
- Atmospheric and climate/earth system modelling and analysis tools
- Emission inventories, modelling and analysis
- Dynamical downscaling of climate and weather simulation output
- Modelling and analysis of the environment
- Air quality modelling and forecasting
- Air pollution health impacts
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop in an international research environment and work in collaboration with linked academic institutions in the EMME region.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of 24 months with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Collection and statistical analysis of observational and model data relevant to atmospheric and climate change in the eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East (EMME)
- Set-up, application, evaluation, forecasting and projection with atmospheric and climate/earth system models from global to regional/urban scales
- Contribution to emission, air quality, climate change and health impact and risk assessments for the EMME
- Presentation of results in conferences and meetings and participation in journal publications
- Contribution to research proposal preparation, project (scientific) reporting & project management
- Supervision and guidance of Research Assistants and Students
- PhD in Natural Sciences and/or Engineering (The candidate must hold a PhD degree of a recognized higher education institution before the deadline of the opening. Candidates who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply provided that they can document their successful defense of the thesis)
- 3-year experience (including PhD research)
- Publications in peer-review scientific journals
- Publications in peer-review conference proceedings
- Presentations in scientific conferences
- Understanding of physical and mathematical concepts
- Numeracy and calculus skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Willingness to travel and spend time in Partner organizations
- Fluency in English (verbal and writing)
- Experience with WRF/WRF-CHEM model and/or Flexpart
- Experience with model evaluation statistical tools
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, list of publications and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Jonilda Kushta (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Jonilda Kushta
Reference number: CARE-C_PDF_22_07