Technical Research Specialist on Instrument Manufacturing (ref. no. CARE-C_TRS_23_13)
This job post is expired. You can search for other jobs here at www.carierista.com.
#TC57849 Type: Full time / Contract
Closing Date: 24/09/2023
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its five Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Centre (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Centre (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC), the Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre (CARE-C), and the Science and Technology Driven Policy and Innovation Research Centre (STeDI-RC). Considerable cross-centre interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas. Within this context, CyI in cooperation with Advanced Partners Max Planck Institute for Chemistry, University of Helsinki and Commission for Atomic Energy – Laboratory for Sciences of the Climate and the Environment, established the “(CARE-C) Eastern Mediterranean Middle East – Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre of Excellence” under Horizon 2020 – TEAMING Grant no. 856612.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the Institute as a Technical Research Specialist in the CARE-C Centre to work on work on aerosol instrumentation.
The Technical Research Specialist will contribute to and support the operation of the Instrumentation for Nanoparticle/Nanomaterial Synthesis and Characterization Laboratory (INL) of the Cyprus Institute. More specifically the selected candidate will primarily contribute to the development of novel instrumentation (or parts of it) for air quality measurements, as well as for the production/synthesis of novel nanomaterials for technological applications. Other tasks involve the smooth operation of a number of instruments in the INL, and the support of students and researchers. Training on the operation/maintenance of existing equipment, as well as in all internal procedures/tasks related to the position will be provided by CyI.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a fixed-term duration with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate. The successful candidate will be under the supervision of the Head of the Instrumentation and Nano Lab of CARE-C.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Assist in the development of new instruments and sensors or parts of them
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of instruments in the INL
- Assist and contribute in compliance of all necessary Health and Safety measures
- Bachelor Degree in one of the following:
- Mechanical Engineering (Preferably oriented to manufacturing and/or machine design and development or similar). Holders of an engineering degree with specialization in Aerospace, Robotics\Automation, and Industrial Design will be also strongly considered.
- Scientific Instrument Technology
- Electrical and/or Chemical Engineering
- Physics (experimental physics)
- Very Good knowledge in 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) and manufacturing software (e.g., Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, CATIA or other similar software)
- Experience with 3D printing technology (i.e., 3D printer software, materials, operating parameters etc).
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods, tools and equipment
- Analytical thinking and troubleshooting capabilities
- Will to learn, experiment and innovate
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and writing
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in the use of manufacturing tools and equipment
- Knowledge/experience in engineering or multi-physics simulation software (e.g., ANSYS, COMSOL or other similar)
- Familiarity with programming languages
- Preferred experience in technology-related research laboratories.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety regulations and measures relevant to lab/technical activities
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, and a list of two (2) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof George Biskos (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: George Biskos
Reference number: CARE-C_TRS_23_13